Sunday 2 December 2018

The Sticky Business of Property

For as long as I could remember, I have always wanted to own property(ies). It is no child's play I tell ya.

So let me start from the beginning. Early 2018, my significant other calls me besides himself with excitement about this steal: A four bedroom penthouse in the city centre at a very reasonable price. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity. We arranged for a viewing, and we were taken, smitten with the place, excited and hopeful! The picturesque views of the city, all the way from the Union buildings; Arcadia; Sunnyside with Hatfield in the distance; the Telkom tower; UNISA... We fell in love with the property!

In our haste to outbid other potential buyers, we overlooked some pretty crucial elements to buying a property. Add a pathological liar for an estate agent to the mix, we found ourselves stuck in a money-pit. Property levies grossly underestimated by agent, I mean 75% higher than what the agent had estimated.

Just so we are clear, when I say money-pit I mean new windows, flooring, plumbing, cabinetry, fumigating, de-cluttering (more like clearing a dump) and cleaning. And when I thought the nightmare was over, a pipe bursts in the kitchen flooding the entire flat. Lets just say 2018 has given me a good smack across the face. As could be expected, having gone through this and many other stresses in this dreadful 2018 I haven't had time or the energy to enjoy this wonderful property.
 *Mi casa*

2019 is gonna be the year, me and my penthouse live it up! That is my new year's resolution. I'm about 30 days early I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment