Wednesday 29 April 2020

Dear Educators

Let me start by apologizing to all the good teachers out there. For the longest time I have been painting all of you with the same brush because of my less than narturing experiences at the schools I attended in my childhood. Yes, I am saying sorry Buyie, Zandie, Mami, Sihle, Thule, Sboniso, Muzi... I didn't realize just how many teachers are in my life (sort of).
Now let me thank the following teachers who did their jobs very well:
@St Nivard's Combined Primary School
SSA: Mrs Chiliza (RIP) and Mrs Mkhize snr
SSB: Miss Vezi(RIP) and Mrs Mkhize jnr
STD 1: Mrs Mjoka
STD 2: Mrs Shezi (formerly Miss Vezi, RIP) and Miss Mthethwa
STD 3-5: Mr Ngidi (RIP) and Mrs Shezi (RIP) 
Was so fortunate to have Miss Vezi (Mrs Shezi) for 3 grades! May her soul rest in heavenly peace. 
@Gobume High School 
STD 6: Miss Jwara (big sis Bongi) and Miss Ncwane
@St Francis College 
STD 7-10: Sr Basil, Sr Honesta(RIP) , Mr Nzama, Mr Ngcobo, Mr Nxumalo, Mr DaSilva, Sr Mary George, Sr Mary Corda, Sr Angelica (RIP) and Sr Halind(RIP). 

I appreciate the knowledge and motivation. You conducted yourselves in a professional and commendable way. May God bless you abundantly.
I got a chance to go back to St Francis as a lodger when I got my first job and again to do Education For Life with the matric girls in 2010. Last year I went back to St Nivard's with Ososayensi for national science week.
I think I have healed from the trauma of the belittling, beatings and bullying. I am going to try and not dwell on the past from now on.
Now, dearest educators, please know that parents have entrusted their most precious bundles of joy to you and you could mould and build them, enhance what they already possess and instill discipline and a sense of purpose. Motivate them to be the best they can be.
You can really damage their lives with harsh words and deeds.
Please take this time to reflect on the type of educator you are and work towards becoming the best educator possible. Considerthe long-term results you desire for your learners and let that guide you. Let that be your legacy.
Thank you for all you do for the children. They're our future you know.

2 comments: